How to Say I Don't Know Your Language

India is a country with amazing diversity. From Kashmir in North to Kanyakumari (Tamilnadu) in the South, and from Gujarat in West to Kolkata (West Bengal) in the East extending upto Tawang (Arunachal Pradesh) in the North East, the quantum of diversity one would come across is amazing.

The above also holds true for the languages and dialects spoken across the length and breadth of India. The number of languages and dialects spoken in India would, in fact, easily run into an extremely high number.

Almost all Indians are generally comfortable with their Mother tongue, be it Marathi, Bengali, Tamil, Malyali, etc. Many of them know and understand Hindi also (that's probably what makes Hindi movies coming out of Bollywood so very popular). Anda good number of Indians know and understand English as well (which is increasingly and extensively being used for business communication).

Amidst the diversity as explained above, I have realized over years that when one goes to any place/state it is a good idea to learn to say "I Don't Know Your Language" in the local language of that place/state. I have been to many parts of India in the last so many years and whenever I used to visit any place/state in India I used to find out and learn "How to Say I Don't Know Your Language". This list, I feel, will be helpful for others as well so I thought of compiling it and putting it on my website. Here you go...

Language (State) - "How to Say I Don't Know Your Language" in that Language
Kannada (Karnataka) - "Kannada Gotilla"
Bangla (West Bengal) - "Amaake Bangla Bujte Paadi Naa"
Marathi (Maharasthra) - "Mala Marathi Ait Nahi"
Tamil (Tamil Nadu) - "Tamil Teriyadu"

No comments:

Post a Comment